Sunday 25 September 2011

Scottish Oatcakes

 I've made this recipe thinking about Stilton, I made this other recipe thinking about Stilton too... Yes, I think a lot about stinky cheese, I'm that type of person.

Store bought oatcakes are not bad, nothing special, just a thin, crispy vehicle for your cheese, your paté or whatever you like to eat with them. Homemade oatcakes have more bite, they are chewier, buttery, flavoursome and they look much nicer!

They are surprisingly straightforward to do. There's no kneading, no proving. Just mix all the ingredients until it comes together into a dough.

Stilton, I love youuuuuu


Recipe adapted from Delicious Magazine

60g Self-raising flour
1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
125 gr oatmeal
50g cold, unsalted butter, cubed
2tbsp milk

Preheat the oven to 180C.

Sift the flour, bicarbonate of soda, and a pinch of salt into a bowl. Mix in the oatmeal, then rub the butter.

Gradually stir in the milk and 60 ml cold water. Form into a ball of dough.

Halve the mixture. With floured hands, roll each section in turn into a cylinder measuring about 7cm long and 5cm in diameter.

Lay on a floured surface and with a knife slice into 0.5cm thick rounds. Pat them flatter with your hands.

Bake for 25-30 minutes until golden. Cool on a wire rack and store in an airtight container for up to 3 days.

6 comments:

  1. I make my own oatcakes and they are so much better than commercial ones, yours look FABULOUS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will need to try these oatcakes. They look healthy and wonderfully rustic.
    Also, thanks so much for stopping by my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you that homemade oatcakes have more texture and flavour, I made my first batch not that long ago and now would not consider buying them again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Desde luego pienso hacerlas... tienen una pinta espectacular!!!
    Besitos!
    Nieves.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love to snack on oatcakes and cheese so will definitely be book marking this recipe. Is that pear butter you have in the first photo? I never knew such a thing existed, it sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oooh, oatcakes sound rather delicious! Mabe a good Christmas gift idea too ♥

    ReplyDelete